- Cinematographer Eduards Kraucs (by the camera), first on the right - sound engineer, film technician Voldemārs Blumbergs
- Jaunākās Ziņas (Latest News), April 28, 1934
- List of songs from Son of the People (“Tautas dēls”, dir. H. Ballas, C. Halden, 1934)
- Son of the People (“Tautas dēls”, dir. H. Ballas, C. Halden, 1934)
The first sound newsreel in Latvia was shot by Fox Studios (USA). A short culture-film, Daugava Mother (“Daugava māmuliņa”, about the river Daugava), was made in 1933 using a light and sound machine designed by Kārlis Rudzītis. Culture-films of that time are the equivalent of today’s popular science documentaries. On April 29, 1934, the first feature sound film, Daugava, produced by the newly-formed film company Latvian Sound Film. J. Sīlis and Partners (“Latvijas Skaņu filma. J. Sīlis un b-ri”), began playing in theatres. The film was shot with sound equipment designed by Edgars and Voldemārs Blumbergs. The same year saw the arrival of the feature sound culture-film Gauja (about the river Gauja), whose sound was recorded at the Ufa pavilions in Berlin.
After Kārlis Ulmanis seized power, the first grandiose event that marked the new nation’s ideology was the Song of Rebirth (“Atdzimšanas dziesma”) – a performance symbolically dedicated to Latvian history and President Ulmanis – took place on the Esplanade in July, 1934. From the Song of Rebirth came the first musical feature in the Ulmanis’ era: Son of the People (“Tautas dēls”, 1934). The film contained themes from the performance and showed the actual performance on the Esplanade in the film’s culmination. An international crew was assembled to make the film. The premiere took place on November 18, 1934, in two cinemas in Riga – Palladium and Forum – simultaneously, as well as in the Swedish capital, Stockholm.
According to reports, the music and songs in the film Son of the People were the main means of expression of the emotions and ideas. The film featured performances by Latvian opera singers Ādolfs Kaktiņš, Nikolajs Vasiļjevs and Voldemārs Ančarovs-Kadiķis; the music was recorded by the Royal Swedish Opera orchestra. The film’s soundtrack was recorded on audio records.